Thursday, November 4, 2010

Feeling Sick? Eat this!

The unpredictable weather patterns in San Francisco have been making me feel a bit sniffly and watery lately. No matter how healthy you eat, sometimes you just can't beat a little cold. I recently felt the need to flush out my body at the first sign of an itchy throat, so I loaded up on antioxidants and cold weather comfort food.

My salad consisted of broccoli, avocado, sauteed bell peppers, and asparagus. I dipped some of the veggies in hummus for some protein, and slurped tomato soup to feel comfy when it was cold and drizzly outside.

The peach was dessert, and the Kombucha washed it all down. No, I'm not drinking the hippie tea. It is actually quite tasty and has a little bite to eat sip. My favorite flavors are Guava Goddess and Mango. If a name like Guava Goddess isn't convincing you, learn about the health benefits and the odd way the Chinese tea is made.

Tips to fight the sniffles this winter:
-Eat healthy and over-hydrate yourself! (It's easy to forget about water throughout the day, so consciously think of over-doing it and you should be spot on.)
-Drink antioxidant teas instead of coffee to keep you awake and warm without dehydrating or crashing. I really like Kukicha twig tea or basic Chai.
-Make sure to always bring a jacket and scarf. Even if you are just walking down the street, always be prepared for a wind chill in SF!
-Clean your work space, living space, kitchen, and bathroom frequently.
-And for your neighbors health too, please wash your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment