Thursday, September 30, 2010

Paleo tacos - Gourmet Sunday

My brother, Dusty, introduced Paleo tacos to the family a few months ago. The idea is removing the tortilla taco shell, and replacing it with iceberg lettuce instead.

A main ingredient of Paleo tacos is this paste mixture which includes onions, tomatoes, garlic, and chili peppers. Cook the vegetables down until they are extremely soft, then blend into a paste in your blender or food processor.
I made my own version, adding my Trader Joe's fake taco meat to the paste. I also added re-fried beans, avocado, and cheese:
Traditional Paleo tacos include shredded chicken on top of the vegetable paste, finished with avocado chunks. These were Dusty's:
There was quite a variety of Paleo tacos the family assembled that night. It is a great idea to replace the tortilla shells with lettuce, and it doesn't take away from the experience of eating a taco. The crunch with each bite is still there, without all the 'bad' carbs. You still get 'good' carbs through the other ingredients.
For further instructions on how to make Paleo tacos, you can ask me or google the recipe.



No comments:

Post a Comment